An ante-natal class is run by a physiotherapist in your home, using her experience and skills to provide you and your partner with as much information as possible regarding the various aspects of your pregnancy, labour and postnatal period.
This is a relaxed and fun session tailored to suit the stage of pregnancy you are at and individual concerns, as well as covering all the areas normally taught during these classes in the community. It may be the case that you and your partner do not have the time to come to the community sessions run by the midwife and physiotherapist over several weeks, so this class aims to condense all you want to know within one session.
The sessions usually last 1-1.5 hours depending on you and your partner’s specific needs. You may like to share a class with another couple. Evening sessions are available on request.
You will need to wear loose, comfortable clothing to allow you to practise positions and breathing techniques.
Topics that will be discussed include:-
- Ante-natal perineal massage, pelvic floor exercises, core abdominal techniques
- Maintaining general fitness, back care and safe exercise during pregnancy
- What to expect when you are expecting, common aches and pains etc
- Breathing and relaxation techniques during labour
- Positions during labour
- Discussion of the various stages of labour
- Discussion about birth plans and how to adapt if all does not go to your Birth Plan A.
- What to expect during the post natal period, when to resume exercise, pelvic floor exercises, postural advice and any specific questions that you may have.